Monday 9 April 2012

Parenting

I was in a cafe reading my book when I overheard a mother confronting her teenage son together with her gay partner. It was quite obvious they are a gay couple since I could not think of any other reason why a mother would wish to lecture her son in front of a mere friend. It is just not in the typical Asian culture to teach your broods in front of your friend/ friends as family issues are always dealt with behind closed doors. The mother was generally very calm and patient in confronting her son over some behavioural issues and over some nasty things her son had apparently said about her mother's friend (i.e. the gay partner). The mother's gay partner was relatively less patient. Judging from the way she dresses, her "friend" does appear to be the dominating partner in the relationship. I was trying hard not to pry or look their way, but the gay partner does not seem to care if she was heard judging from the tone and volume of her voice. Honestly, I could not help but feel bad for the teenage boy for being humiliated like this in public and even more so for being humiliated by her mother's gay friend. I can empathize with the mother's heartache for seeing her son disliking the gay partner. But, I wonder if she has tried looking at this from her son's perspective. It is generally difficult to grow up with a single parent in this society and why would anyone think it would be any easier on this boy to have to accept the fact that his mother is gay. I bet it has never crossed her mind that she and her gay partner could be the root to all issues. I am not against the gays but I am all out against selfish parent. I am not a parent myself yet but I would think that all parents should always have their children's interest in mind before leaping to any life changing decisions. If they are not ready for a lifetime commitment then do not start brooding like rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment